Friday 25 August 2017

Admission Tests

BMAT AND UKCAT

Now you’re brought into the admission test period of becoming a Medical student. There are two admission tests you must know about: BMAT and UKCAT.

BMAT = BioMedical Admissions Test. You only take this test if you are applying to a medical school that uses the BMAT. Examples of universities that require the BMAT include Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial College London, University College London, Leeds, Lancaster etc. The full list can be accessed online as it is subject to change.

UKCAT = UK Clinical Aptitude Test. This is used primarily in the selection process by medical schools to help them choose ‘higher’ capable students. It is believed the UKCAT tests aptitude (which is mental ability and behaviour) as opposed to academic skill. Essentially most of the medical schools require it, although most don’t look at it. So you’re 100% going to need to do this.

To summarise, you’ll definitely need to do the UKCAT and you may need to do the BMAT depending if you’re applying to certain universities.

I really don’t want to go into details about these admission tests as you’ll find more support on other websites. I don’t want this guide becoming outdated quickly, so I’ll give you a rough overview of the tests. They are both timed exams that you will probably not fully complete on the day you are tested. The UKCAT is tested on a computer with multiple choice answers, where you tend to answer the most appropriate or the correct answer. The BMAT is a paper exam which tests mental arithmetic and finishes with an essay that you need to complete on one A4 side from a given list of titles.

The BMAT test is very hard to prepare for, but there are resources available online. Please please please please buy books, borrow them from libraries, print resources off the Internet etc. I even downloaded a “UKCAT Practice Questions” application on my phone. They will be your greatest bet to practising for these horrible exams! I will tell you now, they aren’t nice at all!


WHAT IF I DO REALLY BADLY IN THE ADMISSION TESTS?

You might end up performing poorly in the exams. I’ll be honest, I scored below average in both the UKCAT and the BMAT. In fact, I opened my BMAT results during my Chemistry lesson and was sent out because my teacher thought I was going to break down in tears. It is extremely demoralising. You feel like you’ve written off your opportunity to go to a medical school.

Do not give up. Stay off forums. They will hurt you even more. You’ll score 500 and read on the Student Room about someone complaining if their 690 is good enough, and everyone will batter them down to blowing their one chance to medical school for this year. I did the same with the BMAT. I scored below average and was really disappointed.

But aim high. It is very very rare to receive all 5 offers from your chosen universities – I’m sure you’ve heard this before. So conceal your worries and fears. Ok so you scored low in the UKCAT/BMAT, oh well, move on and wait for the universities to make their decision prior to the interview selection process.

No comments:

Post a Comment