Friday 22 September 2017

Freshers' Week - Social Side

Reflection then of my very first week at university, otherwise (popularly known) as "Freshers' Week!" For some people, this is what they were looking forward most to coming to university, but I myself was not 100% eager.

In this article, I am discussing about the social side of Freshers' Week, so I am covering the fun side of the week!

You will eat loads (because you have loads of food in the cupboard that screams "Eat me" when you're bored). Take this as a chance to cook, but don't drink too much. I will probably write an article in the coming weeks about diet whilst at university.


With your free time (with basically no lectures), do take this time to explore your city! Catch the bus and work out routes to the lectures, 

Now, Freshers' can be regarded as the most messiest week at uni by the media. There were many opportunities to go into town to visit every single nightclub and bar open at 11pm and shutting at 3am. It is a very sociable week that gives you the opportunity to try and meet new people, but you can do this in a variety of ways.

At the beginning, you have your flatmates (or people you share your accommodation with). I feel very lucky and grateful to have such great flatmates where we feel comfortable around each other, share the same interests and share the same humour. I worried about who I would be living with the most, but I feel so relaxed knowing I was just overthinking. Don't get anxious and shut yourself away, go and introduce yourself and start a conversation. One of my best friends now (who is in the flat) is probably the coolest guy I know for playing the guitar, singing, surfboarding and skateboarding. I never thought I'd get on with someone who has those interests as I for one don't have any hobbies, so deemed myself quite boring. But the flatmates are who you should hold closest to your heart as you're going to be living with them for the next 40-odd weeks and they'll see you every morning and every night.

I am not exactly a 'go-ey out-ey' person, so I didn't use Freshers' Week to exhaust my alcohol dehydrogenase enzymes in my liver cells to breakdown all the alcohol I consumed. I did go out on my very first night here to make new friends, but made sure I went out with my flatmates so we could develop that initial bond.

The nightlife is great. Loud music and alcohol seem to be the perfect mix and (although you may regret it in the morning) it does feel like the best sensation ever. You don't think anything could go wrong, as you're just out to have a good time. I would recommend maybe going out at least once just to try it, and as an opportunity to meet new people who may be doing medicine too.

Now the boring safety stuff. With going out though, you do need to be wary as I'm sure you are already aware. Just be cautious of who you are approaching (or who's approaching you) and what is going on around you. Spiking of drinks is very common and is an opportunity for you to become vulnerable to the people who decide to commit to this act. It is dangerous. Please ensure you never accept drinks from strangers, never take your eye off your drink and maybe look away/walk with your hand covering your glass/tumbler/cup. Keep to a crowd of around three as well, and look after your mates as they look after you. This will lower your risks.

And I'll be honest, you will be subjected to drugs. You will be around people doing it, and might even see it yourself (Eg. loads of nitrous oxide canisters on the road). Just be aware that the industry you're entering and the course you want to enrol onto does require a DBS check. If you fail this, you may be deemed unfit for practice and lose your chance of studying medicine. Do you really want drugs and you "experimenting" to stop you from following your dream? But I'm sure you won't even consider the risk anyway, so don't do drugs!

Keep that portable charger at hand because you will probably require two charges a day in Freshers' Week! Why? You'll be using your phone constantly for navigation, but also to add your new friends on social media. You'll be exchanging names and adding before you know it. Your battery could also be draining as you take loads of selfies and group photos with your new friends, or your phone will be working overload to cope with the notifications of that group chat of 200 medics you decided to join.

Either way, the social aspect is amazing. You will meet many people and have a great time. For someone who feels unsafe going out into town for a good night, I did really enjoy myself and did go out a few times this week. Some of my friends did go out every night - but I'm not that hardcore. But with situations like this, just look after yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment