Monday 19 February 2018

Postmortem?!

I had an amazing opportunity to observe a postmortem this week! I am lucky that my facilitator is a pathologist who works in a coronary court to carry out postmortems on patients who have died 'suspiciously' (not like forensic murder!)

So what is a 'suspicious' death? According to my facilitator, this is where a patient has died unexpectedly, but hasn't seen a GP in the past two weeks before their death. This tends to be when a body has been found at home, and the death has come as a shock.

I was really shocked to how the postmortems are carried out. They are nothing like how they are portrayed in the media. The body is examined in a brightly lit lab - there is no small light dangling in a dark room with four people surrounding the body with their tools. In fact, there are four bodies being examined at the same time with one person doing it.

I won't go into the details in my blog, as I understand there is a line. But I would recommend you look at how they examine the body. They remove every organ from the body before examining each organ in detail. This is important to identify any health issues which may not be directly obvious from the outside as you are after all identifying the cause of death. For example, it is hard to look at a body that has been found, and see that the person died of a cardiac arrest. A postmortem will reveal hard crunchy coronary suggesting atherosclerosis that could've resulted in a myocardial infarction that killed the person. I would recommend you looking at the method they use to remove these body parts as I found it particularly fascinating.

This is an experience I was delighted to have the opportunity to take part in. I feel it endorsed my anatomy, as it was the most recent view I have seen of the internal anatomy of a human. Especially when the organs were removed, it was amazing to relate them to how close they appear in standard anatomy labelled diagrams! The liver is that red/purple colour in real life, despite it appearing greyer in the anatomy labs.

No comments:

Post a Comment