Wednesday 27 June 2018

Speaking at Villiers Park Scholarship Programme Celebration Evening

Haha. Why am I smiling like an idiot?
I had the pleasure of being asked to speak at two Villiers Park events this week, one being for the programme I am a scholar for and the second for being a recently set up sister programme, "Fantastic Futures".

At the scholarship celebration evening, it was amazing to sit and hear all of the stories the scholars have created and shared from Year 10, all the way up to Year 13. It was a shame hearing all of the activities they had taken part in, and not being a part of it anymore! From the residentials and trips to the luxury of having an amazing mentor...!

In my speech, I exclaimed about how much Villiers Park really did help me begin my journey into medicine and I cannot preach how incredible their work is. Villiers Park is made up of a great group of people who are so loving and encouraging and want the best for everyone they are supporting.

My speech was delivered during the celebration evening at New College, in Swindon.

The following abstract was taken from the article from Villiers Park's website (as was the photograph in this post). The original article can be found by following this link.

Josh Drinkwater, 19, from Swindon, is studying his first year of medicine at University of Bristol. He returned to speak about life after his four years on the Swindon Scholars Programme.  “I can stand here today and talk to you because of Villiers Park,” said Josh. “My A-Levels were horrible. I tried to sail through but I found I couldn’t cope with managing my time or my stress. A simple review with my mentor, of how I was studying and learning to prioritise helped me through. I still use the skills I developed on the programme, such as communication skills, in my training – for example when I’m talking to patients in clinical settings.”
Villiers Park logo.

My speech, because there were some important things in it I wanted to highlight to you guys, the readers, too!

Hello! My name is Josh and I am a student who worked quite closely with Villiers Park to fulfil my aspiration of studying medicine at my first choice university. I have been a Villiers Parks Scholar for the past five years from when I went into Year 10 at Lydiard Park Academy.

My first year of uni has been very eventful! I have been on many placements from inside Southmead Hospital to doing home visits in Yate, just outside of Bristol. My course has involved lectures on maths, sociology, law, anatomy and biomedicine and even involved going into dissection rooms for a hands-on way of learning about the body.

But I can stand here today and talk to you because of Villiers Park. If it hadn’t been for being a scholar, I probably wouldn’t have achieved my goal.

Firstly, there was trying to become the ‘perfect’ candidate that universities desire. Villiers Park helped me through that by teaching me skills that I thought I already had within me. Instead, I learnt how to apply my skills in different applications. With the communication skills that I learnt in masterclasses throughout the years, I have applied these to my part time job at John Lewis but also even today when I talk to patients in a clinical setting.

Residentials helped build-on pre-existing team working skills. We were all close friends in my cohort so we worked well anyway, but the residentials taught us how we can work effectively. But I could demonstrate all of these skills in my interview for medicine.

I was part of a group called MedSoc which was put together by some of the mentors here today with the aim of helping prospect medics reaching their goal of studying medicine. The workshops would include interview practices, how to select the university for you and what exactly medicine consists of – delivered by presentations and guest speakers throughout the year. MedSoc catalysed my passion for medicine and gave me a driving push which I never knew I needed. I am now privileged to say that I’ve had the opportunity to be on the other side of that table now in the workshops as I delivered a presentation in January to students who were looking at studying a Health Science after they have completed their A-Levels. I have even set up a blog to help inform the students on what studying medicine is really like to help aid them in their decision to pursue it and prepare them for their interviews.

After briefly mentioning it, A-Levels were horrible. I can tell you now that A-Levels are probably the worst thing that you’ll encounter on your path into university. It is completely different to GCSEs so you need to adapt quickly because the “gap” between the two are definitely as big as what the teachers make it out to be. I struggled with my A-Levels I’ll admit and I found them extremely challenging. But that is the beauty of having a mentor as a scholar. At the beginning of the year, I tried to sail through making out to Julie that I was coping. But as it progressed, I realised I couldn’t deal with managing my time and stresses on my own. My mentor was not only open ears that wouldn’t judge me for admitting I was struggling, but was also a handy friendly voice of guidance that provided that support and advice that I needed. Just a simple review of how I was studying, what I was struggling with and possibly implicating a new method of prioritising the content I needed to learn helped me through. It was at that point I admitted I needed the help that I could change the way I worked. It allowed me to then start making progress that was apparent in practically the very final mocks before my summer exams of Year 13.

So I owe it to Villiers Park really. Not only did you help me with finding the university that I really wanted to study at through mentor meetings and workshops, but you helped fuel that passion that I had for medicine. You helped prepare me for my interviews which I was luckily successful in to then receive three out of five offers. The next challenge was achieving those grades, which I have already explained was tough. But, you picked me up again and put me back on the tracks and the support given was enough for me to then sit my exams, more confident than I was a few months before, to then reach those entry requirements and get into Bristol University.

But it didn’t all stop there. Even this year, I am still using the skills and foundations that I had learnt throughout being a scholar. I passed on the tips I learnt from doing a literature ‘dissection’ on a residential to my friends as we were completing an assignment based on three science papers that were in the New England Journal for Medicine. I use those team working skills practically all the time in clinics and facilitation sessions when I am with my group. And finally, I have built on those communication skills and have used them when I’ve been delivering presentations to small groups, speaking with patients on wards or even preparing speeches for presentation evenings! So I would like to say a massive thank you to Villiers Park, as I do every year, but I can’t put into words exactly how grateful I am and how proud I am to call myself a scholar of such a great programme.

As some quick words of wisdom to current scholars, just remember you are the one in control of your destiny – which actually sounds really cheesy but it’s true. Your teachers teach you the content, the past papers help consolidate the knowledge and your mentor is there to provide some guidance and support. However, it is your hard work and determination that will get you to your end goal, whether that be an apprentice or university. Use the resources around you but try your best in everything you do and you’ll have that sense of pride when the outcome is what you intended. Don’t blame the teachers, don’t blame the paper but I’m not saying blame yourself!! But take it as a stepping stone of learning and the best way to learn is through making mistakes. 

I wish you the best of luck in the future. Thank you for listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment