Monday 11 June 2018

Training as a HCA

Exams are now behind me, so I have been busy concentrating on my HCA role!

I had the pleasure of going to Southmead Hospital to undergo my beginning training as a healthcare assistant. I was lucky to be told that I only needed to attend the first day of the five-day induction because I was a medical student.

Looking at the programme, the first few induction training sessions were about patient safety, hygiene, human factors in the delivery of care and the importance of communication and rules of social media. Other days involved safeguarding, dementia etc - which I had already experienced when being introduced as a HCA for placements here in December!

The beautiful Southmead Hospital!
The training was delivered in a lecture theatre in the Academy. I was sat with other healthcare assistants, student nurses, porters and domestics who were also just starting their jobs.

The training was very informative and was a great opportunity to revisit things I had forgotten since December! I collected my uniform and have received a new ID badge (which I can keep alongside my medical student one!) so it feels all so real now!

I am waiting for the actual starting date to which I can sign up for bank shifts now.

Cheeky coffee and bacon butty for the journey to Bristol!
I was supposed to be attending manual handling the following Tuesday but this was last minute cancelled. Therefore, I'm waiting for this to be rearranged and then I will fill you in again with how that was!

No comments:

Post a Comment